Free Informational Seminar
(for parents, teachers, tutors & adults)
Date: Saturday, June 17th
Time: 2:00 PM – 4:00 PM
Place : The Glaser Center, 547 Mendocino Avenue , Santa Rosa, Ca (click for directions)
Cost: Free, registration required.
Call (707) 928-4054 or Register Online
If you or someone you know is having difficulties with reading, writing, speaking, or thinking clearly, or ADD/ADHD, please join us for this free informational seminar that will shine new light on helping correct the debilitating effects of dyslexia!
The Seminar Will Cover:
- Signs to look for: common, often-overlooked, characteristics of dyslexia
- The two facets of dyslexia: The disability…and THE GIFT
- The root cause of dyslexia — A new perspective
- Recognizing and controlling the mental processes that cause distorted perceptions of letters and words
- The relationship between ADD and dyslexia
- Turning it around — a way to help dyslexics self- correct their dyslexia and improve their reading, writing, and ability to focus their attention
Seminars are informational—there is no cost or obligation.
Seminar for Homeschooling Groups & Parent Organizations
Dyslexia Solutions of Northern California offers Free Informational Seminars for various parent and homeschooling groups. These seminars include:
- Signs to look for — common, often overlooked, characteristics of dyslexia
- Clarifying what dyslexia is … and what it is not
- The root cause of Dyslexia and the surprising areas it can create challenges for the dyslexic person
- How to understand a dyslexic learning style and use learning approaches compatible with that learning style
- And more …
Cost: Free – Registration Required
Teachers’ Workshop on Identifying and Understanding the Signs of Dyslexia
The Teachers’ Workshop on Identifying and Understanding the Signs of Dyslexia, taught by David Rosen, is being offered in support of California Legislative Bill AB-136, signed by Governor Brown in 2015. The bill mandates that by 2017 public schools be capable of identifying dyslexia as a primary learning disability and provide services for students with dyslexia.
The one-hour workshop covers the following topics:
- A Brief History of Dyslexia: The history of dyslexia research and the corrective approaches used in its treatment.
- What is Dyslexia? Basic principles for understanding the way a dyslexic person thinks and learns and accesses language.
- Comparing the terminology of learning disabilities with the language of dyslexia: Because California Legislative Bill AB-1369 is the first time the term “dyslexia” has been used in California legislation, it is important to clarify how the language of dyslexia relates to and differs from the terminology commonly used for “learning disabilities.”
- Common signs and characteristics of dyslexia
- Practical suggestions for working with dyslexic students
- Questions and answers
All participants receive a written summary of the workshop contents.
Participant Outcomes: Teachers will learn what dyslexia is, how to identify its symptoms and characteristics, and guidelines for working with dyslexic students in the classroom. We will also discuss California Legislative Bill AB-1369 and some of the challenges it will create for teachers.
Workshop Cost: $500 for up to 30 participants
David Rosen’s Qualifications:
- Sacramento State University, Psychology M.A.
- Dyslexia Specialist providing assessments and dyslexia correction programs in Sacramento, Sonoma, and Marin Counties, 2007 – present